eFile for Individuals
What is eFile?
- An electronic method of filing and paying state and/or federal taxes using NCDOR-approved, commercial tax preparation software
- A partnership program offered by the IRS (federal), NCDOR (state), and participating software providers
- Frequently referred to as MeF (Modernized Electronic Filing)
For taxpayers – choose an eFile option (below) that works for you. Be sure the eFile software or tax professional that you select supports the forms you want to file.
eFile for Free
- File using a free online eFile provider (NCfreefile) – eligibility requirements vary
- Available for current year returns and payments
- Must access using eFile for Free links on our website – otherwise, fees may be assessed!
eFile for a Fee
- If you don't qualify for NC Free File, you can still eFile for a Fee using a competitively priced online eFile provider.
- Available for current, amended, and prior year returns and payments.
Locate a Tax Professional
- Use a tax professional to prepare your taxes and eFile for you – fees and services vary
- More information on choosing a tax preparer
- Find free tax help
Filing your taxes
eFile supports several filing options:
- File state and federal returns together or separately
- Current, amended, or prior years (up to two years prior to current year)
- Application for extension
- Estimated income tax
Review a list of individual income forms available through eFile.
Paying your taxes
Some eFile providers offer payment options to
- Pay by bank draft
- Pay when you eFile your return, or
- Schedule your payment when you eFile your return
- tax due (payment) can be scheduled up until the due date of the return
- extension payments can be scheduled up to 6 months in advance
- estimated payments can be scheduled up to 12 months in advance
You can also pay by Visa, MasterCard, or bank draft using the NCDOR website.
Choosing your refund options
- Direct deposit to checking or savings (eFile individual taxpayers only!); visit Direct Deposit for information
- Credit of overpayment as an estimated income tax payment for the next year
- Contribution to NC Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Fund
- Contribution to NC Education Endowment Fund and others
- Contribution to NC Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Program
- Receipt of a paper refund check
Want more information?
- Looking for a list of approved eFile Software Providers- current and prior years?
- Step by step instructions for eFile
- What’s new for eFile?
- Who can eFile?
- eFile benefits
- NCDOR eFile availability
- NCDOR eFile contacts
- View a video on Individual eFile...