Problems With Your W-2 Forms

Your W-2 Form reports the amount of wages you were paid during the year and the amounts withheld for state and federal income taxes. Employers must provide employees a W-2 Form by Jan. 31st. Even if you do not receive your W-2 Form, you must still file your return on time.

If your W-2 Form is not legible or if you have lost it, contact your employer and request another.

If you have not received your W-2 Form, and it is after January 31st, contact your employer to find out if or when it was mailed.

If the W-2 Form was returned to the employer due to incorrect address or was not yet issued, allow at least three weeks for the employer to remail or issue the W-2 Form. Then, if you still do not receive your W-2 Form, contact the Department toll-free at 1-877-252-3052 for assistance. When you call, you will need to provide the following information so we may contact your employer.

  1. Your employer's name and complete address, employer identification number (if known), and telephone number.
  2. Your name, address, social security number, and telephone number.

We will mail you a copy of our letter to the employer. If you still do not receive your W-2 Form, you will need to complete Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement to meet the deadline for filing your return. You can obtain Form 4852 at If you file Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, attach copies of payroll check stubs or other supporting information. Your refund may be delayed while the information you provided is verified.

If you receive a W-2 Form after you file your return or if you receive a corrected W-2 Form that does not agree with the income or tax withheld you reported on your return, you must file an amended return.