Following these guidelines will ensure that your tax return is processed efficiently and your refund is not delayed.
- Do not send photocopies of returns for processing. Send original tax returns only.
- Verify your information on the tax return before mailing it.
Is your Social Security Number correct?
Is your name and address correct?
Is your filing status correct?
- If the information that prints on your return is incorrect, do not make changes on your tax return by crossing out or writing over information. Instead, correct the error in your software package and reprint the corrected return.
- Return is printed too light. The Department's processing system cannot read returns that are printed too light. Reprint the return.
- Return is printed too dark. Printing the return too dark may smear the information on a tax return and make it unreadable. The Department uses barcodes to identify tax returns. The barcode often smears if the printer applies too much ink and cannot be read. If the barcode or tax information smears, reprint the return.
- Return printed with extra streaks, marks, or lines may affect the ability of the Department's processing system to read your tax information correctly. Reprint the return if information cannot be clearly identified.
- Do not use the "reverse print" option.
- Return is "Shrink to Fit". The Department's processing system cannot process forms printed in this format. Set the page scaling to "NONE" before printing forms.
- Forms must be printed on 8 1/2 x 11’ standard paper.
Mail your W-2 forms with your return. Staple your W-2s at the bottom left-hand corner of the D-400 or D-400TC.
If the printed return is more than 4 pages, mail in 8½ x 11 envelope.
Send D-400 refund mail to:NC Department of Revenue PO Box R
Raleigh, NC 27634-0001
Send all other D-400 returns to:NC Department of Revenue
PO Box 25000
Raleigh, NC 27640-0640