Name Change


This page contains information about how to change an Individual or Business name with the Department. The specific action required may vary depending on entity type. Use the tables below to determine which action is required to change your name with the Department.

Name Change Procedure

Note: If you are registered with any of the following tax schedules, call the Excise Tax Division at 1-877-308-9092, in addition to completing the required action(s) outlined in the tables:

  • Motor Fuels Tax
  • Motor Carrier Tax (IFTA/Intrastate)
  • Alcoholic Beverages Tax
  • Tobacco Products Tax

Your name will be automatically updated with the Department once you file a tax return using your new name. 


After updating your Social Security card and Driver’s License, call 1-877-252-3052 to provide updated information to the Department


Sole Proprietorship Corporation, LLC, LLP, Partnership
Call our Customer Service line at 1-877-252-3052

Change your name with the North Carolina Secretary of State by calling 919-814-5400. Once changed, begin using your new name on all filings with the Department.

Note: If you are not registered with the North Carolina Secretary of State and are domiciled in another state, please call Customer Service at 1-877-252-3052  to provide updated information to the Department.