Sales and Use Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
What is Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)?
EDI is the electronic exchange of business documents (e.g. tax returns, invoices) from one company's computer to another company's computer in a data format that is machine-readable and follows a national standard. The North Carolina Department of Revenue (NCDOR) utilizes the 813-transaction set, called the "Electronic Filing of Tax Return Data," included in version 4010 of the ASC X12 Standards as the standard format for electronically submitting the North Carolina sales and use tax return information.
Who can file an EDI formatted return?
ALL taxpayers are eligible to file Form E-500, Sales and Use Tax Return, and the breakdown schedule, Form E-536, if applicable, by uploading an EDI formatted return using the Department’s online filing and payment system.
How do I electronically file my EDI formatted Sales and Use tax return?
- In order to file electronically by EDI, you must complete Form NC-592, Sales and Use Tax Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) Registration. A separate Form NC-592 must be completed for each sales and use account that will use this method. Upon approval for the EDI filing method, please allow three (3) business days after Form NC 592 has been submitted before filing your Sales and Use returns. The completed Form NC-592 should be faxed or mailed as noted on the form.
- You will need to use NCDOR approved commercial software or software you have developed in-house to place your North Carolina sales and use tax return into the required EDI format. Please click here to access a list of software vendors who offer NCDOR approved software that can place your North Carolina sales and use tax return into the specified EDI format.
- You will then use our online filing and payment system to upload and submit your return. Through a series of user-friendly web screens, you will be prompted to enter your NCDOR issued Sales and Use Tax Account Number and user ID. You will then reach a web screen that allows you to upload your EDI formatted sales and use tax return.
- Monthly with prepayment taxpayers that want to file their sales and use tax returns electronically but not in an EDI format can enter their return information directly into the system.
What are the NCDOR requirements for developing software to place a North Carolina Sales and Use Tax return into an EDI file format?
Visit EDI Resources for Developers
Am I required to mail any paper documentation after submitting my return?
If you have claimed a credit on Form E-500, you are required to mail documentation in support of the credit. Mail the supporting documentation along with Form E-RA, Required Attachments for Sales and Use Tax Electronic Filing, to:
North Carolina Department of Revenue
PO Box 25000
Raleigh, NC 27640-0001
Note: Include your account number and the period for which you are claiming the credit on your correspondence.
How can I pay the tax calculated on my Sales and Use tax return?
Our Sales and Use Online Filing and Payments system allows you to select one of two options when filing by EDI:
- File E-500 by EDI and pay online. After you upload your EDI file, the system will prompt you to select a payment method, Credit/Debit Card (MasterCard or Visa) or Bank Draft. Advanced registration to pay by this method is not required.
- File E-500 by EDI and pay by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Advanced registration is required to pay by EFT. Please click here for additional information about EFT.
How will I know NCDOR has received my return?
You will receive an email from the Department within two business days from submission of your return and/or payment. The email will contain the same confirmation number that is displayed on the confirmation page that you print for your records. This email will also contain a Document Locator Number. You should retain the email for your records and you should provide these numbers if you contact the Department for assistance with the return and/or payment.
Who can I contact for assistance?
For assistance with filing an E-500 by EDI, please contact the E-File and Development Unit Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm EST toll free at 1-877-308-9103. After you select option 2 from the main menu, select option 1 and then option 2. If you are in the Raleigh area, you may contact us at (919) 814-1500.
Are my submissions secure?
The information you enter in the application is secure. However, some browsers may present a security error message because the header portion of the application references a legacy site that uses HTTP.