Lost or Stolen Refund Check

If your refund check has been lost, destroyed or stolen, you must write the North Carolina Department of Revenue to request another check. We must have your written authorization before issuing a stop payment or beginning forgery proceedings. If you filed a joint return, you and your spouse must both sign the letter. Be sure to include your current address, social security number, the tax year and a statement asking for a stop payment or for the Department to begin forgery proceedings.

We will notify you in writing within 30 days after receiving your letter to advise you of the stop payment or forgery procedures. Another check is usually issued between 30 to 60 days from the time the Revenue Department receives your letter; however, if your check has been cashed by someone else, forgery proceedings will take at least 120 days to be completed.

If you receive your refund check after you have mailed your letter requesting a replacement check, do not cash the check. Instead, return the check to the North Carolina Department of Revenue.

Mail your written request to Customer Service, P.O. Box 1168, Raleigh, N.C. 27602-1168, or fax your request to (919) 733-5750.